Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving!

2014 has proven to be an interesting year. I concluded my work as Literacy Services Director with Baltimore Reads in July. Due to funding issues, Baltimore Reads closed after 26 years of service to Baltimore City. Please read my letter to the Baltimore Sun editor here: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-07-03/news/bs-ed-literacy-20140703_1_baltimore-reads-funding-woes-legacy

Needless to say that this is a year of transition for me professionally. However, I have kept busy since July. Among other things, I presented a workshop at Georgia's Fall Adult Ed Conference, conducted a roundtable at AAACE in Charleston, SC, and help coordinate the MAACCE/South Baltimore Learning Center Adult Education and Family Literacy Awareness Press Conference, which drew more than 100 adult ed supporters to hear Senator Ben Cardin, Congressman John Sarbanes, and Congressmen Dutch Ruppersberger among others.  To see more, check out my LinkedIn page www.linkedin.com/in/goldapple/ 

I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving:
  • My brother successful cancer treatment
  •  Supportive husband, family, and friends
  • Seeing over 26 adult learners earn their high school diplomas while I was at Baltimore Reads
  • New opportunities to grow, whether I asked for it or not
  • And people who read this blog!
So, now I am updating Gold Apple's website and blog.  More later. 
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment